christmas

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Breadsticks!

Today was an on and off rainy day. I happened to be watching a friend's two boys and our outside time was limited due to weather. So we decided to make homemade breadsticks!

I threw the following into the bread machine:

1 cup water
1 egg yolk
3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Out came a beautiful dough that I split between two of the boys. They each made their pile of dough into a long rope.



Then they cut the rope into small pieces and shaped them.






As you can see they did letters and then the traditional breadstick shape.


Then they spread a little egg white mixed with water on each one and sprinkled with toppings.

We used sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, garlic salt, and Cinnamon Sprinkle. This last one was the favorite. I got this Pampered Chef "spice" when I did a show with my friend Jane. (Click on the link above for her site.)

Here are the breadsticks before baking....



And after!


An inexpensive, fun snack! We dipped the savory ones in a little tomato sauce! YUM!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

So cool! Thanks for the recipe..this is going to be a blast for my younger two!