christmas

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sandwich Sushi

I used to make fun lunches for my boys all the time, but with the hecticness of homeschooling and life, it was something that went by the wayside.

Yesterday, I decided to pull out one of my old recipes for "Sandwich Sushi". It is so simple, but the boys LOVED it!

In the morning, I threw a simple white bread in the bread machine. (That is the softest bread I make and you need soft bread for the recipe.) By lunch it was ready.

I cut slices for each of the boys and put on a paper towel (for easy clean up!)

First, they used a rolling pin to flatten it.

Then we spread it with a mixture of 3 tbs cream cheese and 1 1/2 tbs sour cream.

Next, they rolled a couple of cucumber and carrot matchsticks inside each and we sliced it up.

Finished product!

L, which normally wouldn't touch a cuke to save his life, loved it.

This recipe is so versatile. You could use any veggies or spreadable cheese. Goat cheese would be delish!

I served with fresh peach slices for a cheap, healthy, fun lunch! And everyone could do it themselves, except for J, but he had fun eating it!

Let me know if you give it a try!

2 comments:

Tracey said...

This is making it's way on to my lunch menu for the year! What fun!! Your blog is way cool! I wonder how many exclamation points I can use in one comment.. ;)

Ruth said...

Love this idea! I actually messaged you yesterday asking if you had fun lunch ideas (we're in a food rut) and Facebook ate my post. Here I find an awesome one. Thanks Jen!