christmas

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kids CAN cook!

I love to cook and I love to share that with my boys. I have many friends who are hesitant to let their little ones in the kitchen with them, not sure of what they can handle. Believe me, they can handle a lot, you'd be surprised. Today I had two little kitchen helpers, now remember, they are 2 and 4. We set out to make a Tomato Basil Quiche that I found at the $5 dinners blog. The only difference we made was making a shredding potato crust, instead of a traditional crust. I did that for two reasons, all natural pie crusts are expensive and homemade ones are very high in fat and this dish already had enough. Anyway..I digress...

This is a picture of L and J putting salt and pepper on the potatoes we shredded in the food processor. We added a little oil mixed it up and they smashed them down. Then we baked it at 425 for 15-20 minutes.



Then we cut up a load of veggies! You can see that L, the 4 year old is cutting with a knife. I assure you no one was injured in the taking of this photo!
When the crust came out, we piled the veggies on and then poured the egg/milk/cheese mixture on top of it with some basil and more sliced tomatoes.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the final product, but it looked delish and almost everyone liked it! The boys had a blast helping me in the kitchen.
They also helped make popsicles. They have blueberries, yogurt, a little sugar and KALE! You'd never know it and they LOVE them!

Have fun cooking with your kids this week!

2 comments:

SHINNanigans said...

Looks delish! Will you send me a link to the recipe? OK - so who didn't like the quiche?

cjtoscano said...

There should be a link in the entry. Click on tomato basil quiche and it should bring you to the recipe.

Callen didn't like it. Not surprising, he is my most picky one!

Miss you!