christmas

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Green Drink

What is green drink? Simple...a combination of fruits, veggies, and greens. For us it has become that random. But, many people have asked me how I make green drink. When I first started I followed this basic recipe:

1 cup green grapes
1 orange, peeled
1/2 Bartlett pear
1 banana, fresh or frozen
1 cup kale or spinach
1/2 cup water
2 cups ice cubes
Slowly, I began to just add what we had and wing it. It never has come out bad. I throw whole apples, carrots, pineapples, etc. in there. I have also added coconut milk, YUM! Our family does not choose to add any diary, but you could.
Here is a picture of a random green drink.
Before:
After:
A few tips:
1. Harris Teeter sells locally grown Kale for 99 cents a lb.
2. The only green my boys haven't liked is mustard greens...they said it was too spicy! We have used Kale, spinach, romaine, etc.
3. If your family is weary of a "green" drink, the first recipe will be decidedly green, you can always all frozen blueberries and make it purple.
4. Make sure you add a good amount of frozen fruit or ice, but it tastes best cold.
We would have green drink everyday if we could afford it, it has kept us healthy for over a year. We hardly get sick and if we do I will serve this several times a day until they are better, which usually happens very quickly. We always try to serve it up on Sunday mornings and Coop mornings before the boys interact with classes if other kids if you know what I mean, to prevent sickness.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

awesome!! I'm going to try it :)

Rebecca said...

As Lydia says, I love your "Twirly-Whirly-Mixer-Upper machine"!